[NatureNS] Wolfville area ponds

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:44:01 -0400

Nov 2-3 / 06:    Pond-hops - Wolfville area.

Nov 2 / 06

Canning Aboiteau:

Hooded Mergansers (6 f/imms)

Grn-w. Teal (2)

I also found N Flickers 'on the move'. There were four together near the
Aboiteau but I noted them in various places around Canning.

Harris' Pond, Canning:

Canada Geese (28)

Ring-necked Duck (female).

At east end of Canning:

Gtr. Yellowlegs feeding along the edge of the Habitant River.

Nov 3 / 06

Canard Pond:

Am Coot (2)

N Pintail (5m, 1f/imm)

A  Wigeon (2)

Grn-w. Teal (120+)

Blue-w. Teal (1+  male).

Numbers of Mallards and Blacks have thinned out somewhat.

Silver Lake, Lakeville :

Canada Goose (~650)

Hooded Merganser (4m, 2f)

When I arrived at Lakeville the lake was awash with Canada Geese! Looked for
but no sign of a White-fronted Goose or any smaller races of goose.  Around
3.20 p.m. the geese became restless, some began gradually leaving, most
heading west (there are some corn fields in that direction that in past
years the geese have favoured),  though one small flock of ~20 headed
northwards, possibly Bay of Fundy(?).  Several hundred left within the next
20 mins and I was about to leave when a new flock of Canadas (~150) flew in
from the east, splitting into two flocks, with ~100 settling easily into
Silver's Lake alongside those not quite ready to depart, and the other 50
headed northwards.  They were all still there when I left around 3.50 p.m.
On my way home via the Gibson Woods Rd, just north of Kentville (Steam Mill
area), I noticed another 20 Canada Geese departing from a farm field of
corn-stubble as a horse and rider trekked through that field.

The D.U. pond, on the Cornwallis River Crossing road, west end of New Minas:

Scaup (5 f/imm - appear to be Lsrs)

Gr-w. Teal (pair)

Black Ducks (14)

Mallard (3m 1f).