[NatureNS] Eagle versus Heron

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:52:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Pete and All
This reminds me of a story my Grandfather told. Once
he saw a heron catch an eel out in the bay. The eel
didn't give up easily and when both were airborne
managed to overcome the heron. Both crashed to the
ground - the heron dead, the eel quite lively.
He took them both - the eel for supper, the heron to
render down for soap. Nothing wasted in those days!
Behind our barn there was a covered manure pit. This
time of year it would be empty and a pond of water
would collect there. Herons ocasionally would come
into the pond. My father thought they were sick and
weak as there was lots of good tidal flats in the
area. Anyway in a day or two, they would be dead. Has
anyone heard of such an occurance?
Have a nice fall
Paul

(http://voice.yahoo.com)