[NatureNS] Wolfville area 'pond hops' - Sunday

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:24:57 -0300

Sun Oct 22 / 06  - afternoon around high tide - Kings Co.

Jean Timpa and I went pond-hopping in our Wolfville-Canning area primarily
to look for waterfowl and were not disappointed. There is more of a variety
of ducks around, plus the numbers were impressive at Canard Pond.

CANADA GOOSE:   23 - Van Nostrand's Pond, Starrs Point; 25 - Habitant River;
8 - Canning.

BLUE-W. TEAL:     4 - Habitant R., behind the Canning Cdn. Legion bldg.

GRN-W. TEAL: 12 - D.U. pond, Middle Dyke Rd, New Minas; a male - Canning
Aboiteau, Saxon St Pond, Sheffield Mills;                              also
100+ more Teal in Canard Pond which were mostly Grn-wings.

N. PINTAIL:    8 males -Canard Pond; single male - Habitant R., behind the
Canning Cdn. Legion bldg.

AM. WIGEON:   5m, 2f - Canard Pond.

RING-NECK. DUCK:  fem - Harris' Pond, Canning.

WOOD DUCK:   2 males - Saxon St Pond on marsh side, Sheffield Mills.

MALLARD:    100+ in Canard Pond; 54 - Canning Aboiteau; 32 - Habitant R.,
behind the Canning Cdn. Legion bldg;

       3m - Saxon St Pond; 8 - D.U. pond, Middle Dyke Rd, New Minas.

BLACK DUCK:   40 - Canard Pond; 10 - pond near D.O.T. bldg, s.w. Canning
(Rte 358); 7 - Habitant R., behind the Canning Cdn. Legion bldg; and a just
a few more scattered elsewhere.

D-C. CORMORANT: one - Harris' Pond, Canning; one - Saxon St pond; 3 - D.U.
pond, Middle Dyke Rd, New Minas.

GBH:  One - D.U. pond, Middle Dyke Rd, New Minas.

AM. COOT:       one - Canard pond; one - D.U. pond, Middle Dyke Rd, New
Minas.

GTR. YELLOWLEGS:   one in Habitant R., behind the Canning Cdn. Legion bldg,
feeding with the ducks.

BALD EAGLE:   all imms.  6 - Canning area; 2 - Canard pond; one - Grand Pre.

MARSH HARRIER:   fem/imm - along Saxon St.

RED-TAILED HAWK: one- Canard pond

Unidentified small RAPTOR flushed before we could ID (possibly a Sharpie)
behind the Canning Cdn. Legion bldg.

CEDAR WAXWING: 2 - Canning.

RED-W. BLACKBIRD: 5 (2m 2f) along Habitant R., behind the Canning Cdn.
Legion bldg.

AM. PIPIT: 14 - Grand Pre, near Wolfville Sewage Ponds.

Y-RUMPED WARBLER: one - Canard pond.

AM. ROBIN everywhere.  At least 150 along the Habitant R., behind the
Canning Cdn. Legion bldg.

BLUE JAY: a few here and there,  on the move.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts

     Wolfville