[NatureNS] Fw: White-crowned Sparrow, Great Egret,

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:47:22 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_ugoQHHsHIloV/gi04Agnhg)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:46 PM
Subject: White-crowned Sparrow, Great Egret, Swamp Sparrow and Greater Yellowlegs

Sambro Head's Great Egret remains in place as of this morning. This bird has been seen daily by me since first reported, often accompanied by a Great Blue Heron.

In Portuguese Cove in our backyard a suspicious bird first spotted in the near darkness yesterday evening was confirmed today as another White-crowned Sparrow.

Yesterday at Crystal Crescent Beach PP there were several Swamp Sparrows mixed in with a myriad of Song Sparrows at the "sweet place", near the eastern shoulder of Mackerel Cove.  This spot often has a mix of interesting birds as does the cove's beach itself in November and December.  The mass migration of thousands of American Robins and Yellow-rumped Warbler continues unabated through the park. A single Blackpoll Warbler also popped to view.

At Sandy Cove's beach this afternoon I found three Greater Yellowlegs and a Semipalmated Plover. Shorebirds are getting harder to find at the south end of the Chebucto Peninsula.

I've posted eight photos, one of the egret, one of the Swamp Sparrow, two of the yellowlegs, and for those interested in non bird photos two of a pond at Crystal Crescent Beach PP this morning and two of the Queen Mary 2 motoring out of Halifax Harbour this evening in front of our place.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights17.html
Hans Toom
Provincial Coordinator
Nova Scotia's Migration Count
e-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
NSMC website: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_ugoQHHsHIloV/gi04Agnhg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:46 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> White-crowned Sparrow, Great Egret, Swamp Sparrow and
Greater Yellowlegs</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Sambro Head's Great Egret&nbsp;remains in place as
of this morning. This bird has been seen daily by me since first reported, often
accompanied by a Great Blue Heron.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In Portuguese Cove in our backyard&nbsp;a
suspicious bird first spotted in the near darkness yesterday evening&nbsp;was
confirmed today as another White-crowned Sparrow.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Yesterday at Crystal Crescent Beach PP there were
several Swamp Sparrows mixed in with a myriad of Song Sparrows at the "sweet
place", near the eastern shoulder of Mackerel Cove.&nbsp; This spot often has a
mix of interesting birds as does the cove's beach itself in November
and&nbsp;December.&nbsp; The mass migration of thousands of American Robins and
Yellow-rumped Warbler continues unabated through the park. A single Blackpoll
Warbler also popped to view.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>At Sandy Cove's beach this afternoon I found three
Greater Yellowlegs and a&nbsp;Semipalmated Plover.&nbsp;Shorebirds are getting
harder to find at the south end of the Chebucto Peninsula.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've posted eight photos, one of the egret, one of
the Swamp Sparrow, two of the yellowlegs, and for those interested in non bird
photos two of a pond at Crystal Crescent Beach PP this morning and two of the
Queen Mary 2 motoring out of Halifax Harbour this evening in front of our
place.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights17.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights17.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
Toom<BR>Provincial Coordinator<BR>Nova Scotia's Migration Count<BR>e-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>NSMC website:
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A><BR>___________________________________________________</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_ugoQHHsHIloV/gi04Agnhg)--