[NatureNS] Interesting Hawk

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:28:10 +0000

I had a hawk today which passed over the end of the Silver Point Road and
headed towards Lunenburg.  I did not get as a good a look as I would have
liked in terms of getting a proper id.  It might have been a northern
goshawk, but certain features bother me.  This hawk was the right size for a
goshawk, being all gray in color.  The tail was strange and really has me
scratching at my head in that it was all white and very short in comparison
to the body of the hawk.  I cannot fathom any short white-tailed hawk that
is all gray and the size of a northern goshawk.  Any other possibilities
would be appreciated.  It was an Buteo.

There was no sign of the yellow-billed cuckoo that I could find.  This is
not saying that it was not somewheres in the scrub, but I could not locate
it if it was still present.  I suspect with the fine weather that it moved
on earlier in the morning.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore.