[NatureNS] on apostrophes in geographical names

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:31:59 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This is interesting information, John.  And it is good to hear from an
expert.  But now I am intrigued.  Simply because cartographers have adopted
the practice of leaving out apostrophes to avoid confusion on maps, does
this mean that the "official" name of a feature or location essentially
becomes changed?  Could the name not be written or appear on a road side
sign WITH the apostrophe (if it had one to begin with)?  An interesting
practice...!!

Clearly, cartographers rule!!

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax
(close to Hartlen's Point or is it Hartlens Point)