[NatureNS] eastern Kings Co., Sunday afternoon, Oct. 1, 2006

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 21:52:25 -0300

	Brenda and Bill Thexton and I went to some of the waterways here
in eastern Kings Co. this afternoon to see what we could find. It was a
grand day for fall foliage, too.
	At van Nostrand's Pond we counted three Robins flying, 8 Blue
Jays, and hundreds of Starlings in a big flock.
	At the Wellington Dyke on the lower part of the Canard River on
the ocean side at very low tide there were at least 100 Green-winged Teal.
Some were swimming in the small amount of flowing water, but most were
in the mud busily scooping with their beaks going side to side and their
chests sliding along in the red goop. No wonder we couldn't tell what they
were intially they were so mud disguised. This was especially funny to
watch if the duck was going uphill from the water toward a river bank, as
they looked like miniature plows. Would they have been straining out the
algae, or after mud worms of various species? 				At
the Canard Pond which is very very weedy there were at least another 35
or so Green winged Teal.
	At the Blueberry Acres pond we saw 3 Double-crested Cormorants,
3 Wood Ducks, either females or immatures, and three Black Ducks. A
Black capped Chickadee was singing in the bushes near where we had
parked.
	At Brenda's suggestion, we drove out to Silver Lake, in Lakeville
and were duly rewarded with the sight and chatter of at leat 250 Canada
Geese. Every once in awhile a goose would get perturbed by another one
and would charge with wings flailing the water and making, not only an
awful racket, but also an awful lot of splashing. The family interaction was
not unlike those of humans!  We took a casual look for White fronted
Geese, but we did not find any. The flock needs a careful scooping to pick
up any possible WFronts.
	At the DOT pond in Canning which was the cleanest of all the
ponds we visited, we counted approximately 12 Mallards, mostly males, 2
Double crested Cormorants, and 6 Black Ducks.
	We saw one Mourning Dove on a wire on the way home, andone
Red tailed Hawk when we were coming into Port Williams at the beginning
of our trip.  JET