FW: [NatureNS] Re: rusty blackbirds

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:16:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: jan foley <jfoley572001@yahoo.ca>
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1545425833-1159391795=:92516

                    Have there been any other sightings that might unravel this mystery,...??...would the tropical storm weather bring some of these birds our way???
  I do wish they were still here,...I have to say that photos of the Brewer's caught my eye, but  the geographical info looked as though it wouldn't be possible...what about the voice they shared a gurbly-garbly sort of chatter, (....kind of like the pair of red-wings I had in the spring...) and flying they had a sort of squeaky "pzeerr"

       I hear the crows gathering outside,...through the summer there are maybe a couple of dozen and fewer overwinter,..but each fall, hundreds seem to meet in my "back forty" to roost each night til they dissipate when the cold weather comes. Two nights ago I counted 328...It's a bit like that old Alfred Hitchcock movie, I swear!
  I must pour a fresh cup of coffee and wait for dusk...

Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> wrote:   My guess about female cowbirds was stupid, since I forgot about you saying the iris was light-coloured.  But female and young grackles lack the keeled tail, and the tail is quite a bit shorter/smaller than the male's.  Nevertheless, it's quite possible that you did have a small group of Rustie's that were perhaps mixed in with the larger flocks.  Unless the black plumage showed the rusty highlights of their winter plumage, I would have had trouble in identifying them, too, since I very seldom see rusty blackbirds.  Also there is also a dim chance of small blackbirds being Brewer's from the West, which are more grackle-coloured.  Cheers from Jim