[NatureNS] Fw: White-crowned Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, Lapland Longspur,

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:14:01 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_OywaMLmrgQpOMh1IMOmJNA)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:13 PM
Subject: White-crowned Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, Lapland Longspur, Peregrine Falcon and other stuff

Late this afternoon while making dinner in Portuguese Cove I spotted a clear breasted, svelte and large sparrow sporting a jaunty yellow forecrown, the most golden forecrown I've every seen on a White-crowned Sparrow. I was unsuccessful at morphing this bird into a Golden-crowned Sparrow. On Sunday last a Prairie Warbler moved through our property with a bunch of yellow-rumps and palms. This is a yard first.

I walked the Pennant Peninsula this morning and found a Black Guillemot, one Lapland Longpsur and two American Pipits.  The raptors are returning, today's bunch included Peregrine Falcon, Merlin, Northern Harrier, two circling Sharp-shinned Hawks and of course the locally nesting Ospreys.

And as a side bar, I counted 220 Monarch Butterflies including 164 on the return leg from Pennant Point as I walked towards their southward flow.  This is the most Monarchs I've seen out this way in one day.  But I was disappointed because there was no pile up at Pennant Point.

Hans
Hans Toom
Provincial Coordinator
Nova Scotia's Migration Count
e-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
NSMC website: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_OywaMLmrgQpOMh1IMOmJNA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:13 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> White-crowned Sparrow, Prairie Warbler, Lapland Longspur,
Peregrine Falcon and other stuff</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Late this afternoon while making dinner in
Portuguese Cove I spotted a clear breasted, svelte and large sparrow
sporting&nbsp;a jaunty yellow forecrown, the most golden forecrown I've every
seen on a White-crowned Sparrow.&nbsp;I was unsuccessful at morphing this bird
into a Golden-crowned Sparrow. On Sunday last a Prairie Warbler moved through
our property&nbsp;with a bunch of yellow-rumps and palms. This is a yard
first.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I walked the Pennant Peninsula this morning and
found a Black Guillemot, one Lapland Longpsur&nbsp;and two American
Pipits.&nbsp; The raptors are returning, today's bunch included Peregrine
Falcon, Merlin, Northern Harrier, two circling Sharp-shinned Hawks and of course
the locally nesting Ospreys.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>And as a side bar, I counted 220 Monarch
Butterflies including 164 on the return leg from Pennant Point as I&nbsp;walked
towards their southward flow.&nbsp; This is the most Monarchs I've seen out this
way in one day.&nbsp; But I was disappointed because there was no pile up at
Pennant Point.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
Toom<BR>Provincial Coordinator<BR>Nova Scotia's Migration Count<BR>e-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>NSMC website:
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A><BR>___________________________________________________</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_OywaMLmrgQpOMh1IMOmJNA)--