[NatureNS] more on buckthorn

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 21:37:00 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Paul & All,            Sept 21, 2006
    I have never understood how Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula ),
which is thornless, whippy and very brittle could be effective as a
livestock hedge unless it was woven  around horizontal sticks and spiral
bound at the top (as in basket weave). Are the 'longers' that you
mention, by any chance, some kind of horizontal stick ? Also I wonder if
the whips would withstand livestock grazing. If not then these hedges
would have to be protected by split rails or some other barrier until
leaves and upper shoots were well beyond reach.

     If it did come to NS with the Acadians then some factor must have
held it in check until recently, and livestock teeth, the bane of young
woody plants is the obvious suspect. [I just remembered a stand of
Buckthorn that probably extends to a pasture fence. Will check it one of
these days for a possible browse line.]

    As you suggested later, it is possible that Rhamnus was brought here
for medicinal purposes. In that vein, the Merck Index entry under
'Rhamnus cathartica' is interesting being, "Buckthorn bark. Dried ripe
fruit of Rhamnus cathartica L.....Cathartic"
-- and the entry under 'Frangula' is, "Buckthorn bark: alder buckthorn:
black dogwood: berry alder: arrow wood: Persian berries. Dried bark of
Rhamnus frangula L...Cathartic.

 Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville