[NatureNS] Carolina Wren in Wolfville

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:35:00 -0300

	Since about mid August I have been hearing off and on, and lately
regularly in the early mornings a very loud and different song. My backyard
is a jungle, so it has not been until this morning that I managed to see the
tormenting scamp well enough to call it, still a bit tentatively, a Carolina
Wren. Bless them, Richard Stern and Bernard Forsythe, were here within
minutes and spent a long time gently and carefully pursuiting the bird in the
bushes and Virginia Creeper and all sorts of other varied terrain and
growth. They heard it sing almost constantly but only caught a few poor
glimpses of it, but enough to reassure me that it was indeed a Carolina
Wren and is apt to stay around. It is active very early in the morning from
dawn to perhaps 8:30 and then later in the afternoon when the sun won't be
in your face, too. I have a neighbour who feeds the birds very well, so we
are hoping that it may stay around later and use her fare.
	If you would like to try to see it, I am at 25 Gaspereau Avenue, just
opposite Acadia Street. Park in the driveway, or even under the Cherry tree
on the lawn so long as it is not too wet and muddy, or on Acadia Street, but
be careful as it is only a one way street, so you will have to come on it from
west to east, up by the Baptist Church on Main St. in town. Parking is also
restricted there during public school hours.  Walk out back to the little red
house (#27), the old stable, and pick your way carefully through the long
grass (boots required in the morning as it is very dewey!), and over the
pumpkin vines which have grown across the path, but above all listen! He
(presumably) was right at the edge of the garden this morning, and I did not
have to go far to find him first in the overhanging ash tree and then he flew
to the back of the garden and lite on a dead branch which gave me even a
better view. That was really lucky, because he is a "flitter", doesn't stay still
very long, small and very well camoflagued. With its big voice, I kept
looking for a much bigger bird!!  It has a lovely warm buffy breast and the
longer drooping, rounded, tail of the Carolina. A white throat was noticeable
as it tilted its head upwards, singing for all its worth. The very slender bill
was also something which piqued my interest immediately. The white eye
stripe is clean and crisp, and the cheeks are mottled with gray/black on a
lighter background. I hope some of the rest of you can see it, but be sure to
listen to its song. It is quite an act to follow!  JET