[NatureNS] Fuzzy "stuff" on trees, ID?

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:50:59 -0300
From: "Peter dewit" <peterdewit@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

<a
------=_Part_77527_17481071.1158094259600

On 9/12/06, Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

>  Hello Peter,
>
> Your "fuzzy stuff" growing on the trees are lichens.  This is clearly an
> Usnea species (a so-called Beard Lichen) but there are several of these in
> NS.  It looks most like Usnea longissima (Methusaleh's Beard Lichen) which
> can be up to 3 m long!!

Thanks!

 BTW, lichens do not harm the tree and use it simply as a substrate, i.e. a
> place to grow.

Interesting.  The leaves on the lower branches were nearly gone, the lichens
had grown over the areas where the leaves would normal grow.   I know trees
are rather hearty, so I assume the lichens have no substantial effects on
the overal health of the tree?

 There is an increasing number of people in the province interested in
> learning about lichens, especially since they are a valuable natural
> indicator of air quality.  In fact, the Usnea lichens in particular are very
> intolerant of pollution and are hard to find

<snipped for space>

Thanks a bunch.  Gives me something to go on.

Peter (your Clayton Park neighbor)