[NatureNS] GUIDES FOR VISITING BIRDERS

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 07:18:39 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi,

I have had quite a few birders e-mail me through Birding Pal (Google
it) asking about birding in NS. I always reply, with info. about where
to go, and where to look for any special birds thry need. I generally
advise them to buy Blake's book as a guide to where to go birding, and
occasionally if I can, I meet them and take them somewhere. There are
also a couple of bird photography internet groups where birders have
started to take notice of NS because of my frequent photo posts of
birds here, and this summer I took a couple birding and photographing
round King's Co., from Texas - who came to NS specifically because of
my stuff they had seen. I'm doing the same for a birder from Chicago
this Fall. I love taking visiting birders around, but while I'm
working full time it's often hard to book ahead or find the time.

I know there are others who do the same thing.

Like many places now, NS has an annual birding festival (Shelburne
Co), but I think the Dept. of Tourism could do more to advertise that,
and places like Bird Islands, C.B., and the daily pelagic trips from
Brier etc., in places like the ABA magazine and even, e.g. national
newspapers.

--
Richard Stern,

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca