[NatureNS] re Blanding's turtle in Bridgewater! and elsewher, ribbon snakes, etc.

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:29:55 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Cc: Richard Wassersug <tadpole@dal.ca>

Thanks, John! from Jim
----------
From: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:14:03 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: FW: cardinals breeding in Middleton, Blanding's
turtle in Bridgewater!, merlins copulating awkwardly

Hi Jim;
Thank you for this. We suspect there are Blanding's Turtles in the West
Branch LaHave River. We now have confirmed sightings of Northern Ribbon
Snakes  in the West LaHave system. The Blanding's at Bridgewater though
is probably a released captive. This is a very serious problem for our
turtles. People take them home for pets and then release them in
unfamiliar habitat. Unless the turtle can find its way back to natural
habitat it wonders about the rest of its life completely useless to the
breeding population. The Blanding's Turtle  population just cant afford
the loss of one individual. In trying to find its way home it will
probably get run over by a car or truck.
Sincerely
John

>>> Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> 8/11/2006 1:39 AM >>>
Thanks, Barb and Pat -- thanks for reply and various info', which I have
obviously passed on to others here!  Jim