[NatureNS] Re: Tides Cole Harbour Saltmarsh

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:51:21 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

birders more&lt;SPAN class=3D"Apple-converted-space"&gt;=A0&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;/DIV&gt;
At 10:44 AM 31/07/2006, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how much high and low tide timing in this location
>are shifted from Halifax?

There is little variation in tide times along the length of Nova
Scotia's Atlantic coast, unlike the situation as you travel up the
Bay of Fundy.   This general rule applies quite well for most bays,
sounds, harbours, etc, but some estuaries with narrow mouths can
experience a significant lag, caused by a "bottleneck" of water
having to flow in and out of the estuary mouth.

The tide times on various tide predictor sites calculate the tides
for the "open" ocean, not estuaries.   Cole Harbour is a large area
with but a small estuary mouth, and there is a significant lag
between the tide times on either side of Rainbow Haven, the beach
that closes off most of the estuary.   The lag also depends upon
which part of the harbour you are interested in, but I'd say, on
average, there is a two to three hour delay in the timing of high
tide inside Cole Harbour compared to the open waters of Cow Bay.

The tide times for Halifax Harbour give a good starting point.   Then
add 2 to 3 hours to get the tide time for Cole Harbour.

I have a variety of weather and tide time links on my HRM page
of  the"Birding Sites of Nova Scotia" web site:

http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS/HRM.htm#Weather

You can also go to the federal government site to find tide times for
a variety of locations.

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/english/Canada.shtml

Cheers,

Blake Maybank