Top Polluters is US!

Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:53:01 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt; Dept.
Thanks for all the wealth of information, John ... i'm glad you (recently)
joined us here on sust-mar. For anyone who doesn't know, John is president
of Transport 2000 Atlantic.

Owen, i agree with you that safety is paramount. But i disagree with you
that twinning a highway is the way to achieve safety.

It goes without saying that highway fatalities are tragedies. But so are
deaths from air pollution; 1800 in Ontario last year. Suddenly a twinned
highway stops looking so safe.

The problem is that there were be more cars on a twinned highway than on
the old highway it replaces. It has been shown time and time again that
when highways are expanded, more cars start using them.

Cars are the single biggest contributor to air pollution in the universe.
It's not industry, not huge belching smokestacks ... but you & me hopping
in our cars and driving out of town for the weekend to enjoy nature.

Cars also consume a lot of space ... 3 times the land use of equivalent
railway trafic according to a Swiss study. The same study says they use
3.5 times the energy, produce 9 times the pollution and *24* times the
accident rate of trains. Suddenly that train to Truro is looking a lot
safer than a twined highway!

Cars are also expensive; i've read different figures, but the most
conservative i've seen in a while says that a mid-size car in Atlantic
Canada costs $9000/year to operate. But to get the real figure you have to
double that, because the community kicks in another half thru taxes for
road-building and other subsidies. Multiply $9000 times every car in the
Maritimes and think what we could do with all that money if we spent it on
say, healthcare (and that's just the public half of it).

Sad thing is that with only 10% of trips being done by public transport,
and 90% by car, it would only take a small shift away from cars to double
the usage of public transport. We'd end up with a lot more buses and
trains and a lot more people using them.

John, maybe you can shed some light for me on long-distance air travel.
You've already pointed out that short-haul flights are very damaging to
the environment. But how does flying to Toronto or Vancouver compare to
getting there by car, bus or train?

Finally, i'm curious Owen that you suggested a *benefit* of short-haul
flights is that they help rural people commute to urban centres. I'd like
to hear more discussion on this idea. It's pobably safe to say that many
people in rural areas live in harmony with the land, etc. But many do not.
David Suzuki (in Halifax for the P-7) said that there was actually an
environmental advantage in living in cities b/c we humans effectively
concentrate our damage this way. So i'm curious whether helping rural
people to commute is an environmentally sustainable idea [i suspect it
depends on the person we're talking about].

take care, all
~paul