e-mail

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:09:27 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Pat and Malcolm Bayne <av227@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Malcolm. You cannot convert one profile using POP3 into a
profile using IMAP, you have to set up a new account from scratch.

 	As you know the G4 is no longer officially supported. I have one I
use as a testing platform for Chebucto.

 	Both Firefox and Thunderbird have not been supported on G4
platform for years now. Your current Firefox and Thunderbird should not be
used as they are way behind in both security and features. Bad guys are
still writing malware designed to run on G4 PowerPC CPUs so running old
insecure software is not recommended and is not a good idea, period. Also
the automatic Thunderbird setup I describe in the letter I wrote you below
would not work on your early version of Thunderbird.

 	The good news is that there are people working on ports of the
current secure Firefox and Thunderbird so you can use up-to-date safe
software on your G4.

 	Tenfourfox is the PowerPC version of Firefox. I've used it for
more than a year now and it is a good browser. The programmer who makes it
keeps it updated as new security issues are uncovered. You can find it
here, with versions for G3, G4 and G5 PowerPC Macs.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

You can read the development blog for it here to get some idea of its
future evolution:

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.ca/

 	There is another programmer who has built off the work of the
Tenfourfox developer to make a G4 (and G3 and G5) version of Thunderbird
called Tenfourbird.

http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/tenfourbird/releases/56160

 	I've tested this on my G4 and it works identically to the current
Thunderbird and will use the account auto-setup just fine. I recommend
switching over to it as soon as possible.

 	All you need to know is which type of G4 you have, the 7400 or the
7450. You can find out how to tell that here:

http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/WhichVersion