Chebucto Plus Support Needed

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:27:38 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: haycock <haycock@dal.ca>
cc: Sandra Haycock <aa914@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Sandra,

   Phone line interference, call waiting, bad connections or a number of
other factors can cause the effect you describe.

   Internet transmission (including connecting to CCN) is all a matter of
hisses, clicks, pops and screeches (the language of modems) and
unfortunately, phone line noise, call waiting beeps, someone picking up an
extension, telephone company work in your area etc...can all contribute
to noises interpreted by the system to be legitmate characters typed on
your keyboard.  If one of those noises is interpreted as 'hang up', CCN
will disconnect.

   Check all your phone line connections in your home.  Blow dust out of
any connections where the cords plug into the walls.  Listen to your dial
tone and then tap your hang up button to make your phone line quiet.
Listen to see if you have a quiet line or if there is a lot of hum and
static on your phone line once the dial tone is stopped.  These all
contribute to bad connections.  To disable call waiting, add *70 to your
dial up options in your modem setup.

   Also, ensure that no other programs start using your resources on your
computer while you're online.  Viruses, adware, spyware, malware all like
to use the internet connection to send data back to their creators or to
replicate by sending copies of themselves to names found in your email
addressbook.  Anti-virus programs set to autorun every now and then will
temporarily disconnect your internet connection while scanning your system
in the background.  Firewalls have been known to knock people offline
occasionally in their over protective zealousness.

   Our high speed project is proceeding but is still, probably, a couple
of years away from getting up to the center of the city.  I, too, am
looking forward to it as I live near Windsor and North Streets.

CCN Help