Site update

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:59:53 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
cc: CCN Board of Directors <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Christopher Majka wrote:

> > 	I'm in full disagreement. We have more active IP sites now than
> > we've had in years.
>
> I see. Curious then that the IP stats presented at the AGM say:
>
> Year	IP Accts
> 1998	185
> 1999	256
> 2000	213

	Since there is no way known to either me or the techs in the
office to produce these numbers, and a number of issues surrounding
definitions of what is or is not a valid IP, I'd take them with a grain of
salt. The only way to track IPs is to go through and manually eyeball
every single one, check their records and see when they last did
something, is the edit account still functioning, etc.

	One example of this would be the Dartmouth Regional Library,
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Libraries/DartLibrary/drl.html
The site is still on our server, despite there being no DRL since
amalgamation. The site was last updated in 1998 (though the page says
1995) and the editor account has not been active since 1999. Halifax
Regional Library moved to their own servers earlier this month.

	Now I would count this as a long-dead IP; the organization has
evolved and no longer exists in the original form, the website has not
been maintained for years, there has been no editor account in years, and
we know that there is webspace in use by them elsewhere. However, they are
still listed on Chebucto's pages as a site and will no doubt remain there
until someone from HRL notices and tells us to remove it, just like PLENS
did with their pages.

	Since Sept. 1999 I've been tracking IP signups in the office. In
2000 there were 37 IP accounts recorded through the office. To date this
year there have been 22. Since we are about a third of the way through the
year and already have 60% of last year's total, I am optimistic we are
doing better than last year. Similarly with VDNs, which are almost
entirely IP-related, 2000 saw 28 VDNs and to date 2001 there have been 17.
These numbers are going up, among the few that are around Chebucto I might
add.

	The problem is not with the way things are done now - we have
contact with organizations directly and they know we exist and host their
pages - but with the old way, where our contact was with the web editor
only and there was nothing in the way of a feedback loop between us and
the organization. They had no reason to contact us (no renewals, etc.) so
when the web guy went, so would the site. Now, new organizations are
invoiced, have telephone support from the office, and are aware on a
senior level that they are being hosted with us. This is better and the
results are speaking for themselves.

	Our role here is not to perpetuate our own labyrinthal bureaucracy
but to facilitate the participation of groups in the electronic public
space. Making things easier and clearer for them is the way to do that.

	Now, this will come before the Board and if you are interested in
participating in the discussion, you can be invited to the meeting. BTW
I'm now in the middle of some in-office IP tutoring.