Site update

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:03:37 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Office <office@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Potter <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Mark Rushton wrote:

> As requested, the Public Legal Education society of Nova Scotia (PLENS)
> has been removed from the Community Support Index, with a substitution
> of their new domain (off-Chebucto) at http://www.legalinfo.org
>
> I tried to delete the PLENS directory from the /Law/ directory, but
> either I don't have access or something funky is going on (my FTP client
> says the directory "doesn't exist", yet it shows up in the directory
> listing, even with a refresh. Go figure.).

Good thing you weren't able to do this since this isn't what we normally
do. ;-> Normal procedure is to: 1) Change old home pages(s) to re-direct
pages; 2)  remove any unnecessary files; 3) change links to the site on
CCN pages; 4)  close down the old edit group; 5) close down the old
majordomo list; 6)  transfer ownership of the directory tree to fn-edit.

Therefore David P. &/or Michael S.: Can you:

1) Transfer the /csuite/info/Law/PLENS directory tree to fn-edit;
2) Close down the edit group plens;
3) Close down the majordomo list plens;
4) Remove the following directory and file (I wasn't able to);

/csuite/info/Law/PLENS/images/logobord.gif
/csuite/info/Law/PLENS/images

I have changed the former home pages to re-direct pages to the new site;
removed extraneous files; and made all the appropriate changes to the IPDB
entries.

> I seriously doubt that the organization's new webhost (Auracom) is
> giving them as good a deal as Chebucto could have (record below).

Doubtless not. Very sad to see them go since they've been running on our
site since 1995.

> May I suggest that this is one casualty of the "detached" relationship
> between CCN as an organization and its "IPs".  With no ongoing
> "mentoring" of new organizations / web editors, the connection remains
> purely businesslike.  This is an issue we discussed but have not
> followed up on, that is, finding new ways to generate "ownership" or
> "buy-in" by those who choose to host their sites on CCN.

I'm in full agreement. With IP Training having disappeared and the CCN
Editors having been stripped of meaningful functions or responsibilities,
and with many key people who had relationships with IP organizations
having departed, IP relations to the CCN have further declined to purely
financial transactions. It's particularly distressing to see significant
community organizations like the Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia
- a community organization with obvious kinships with the CCN - depart or
site after 6 years here for no discernible reason.

> Something to consider for the upcoming inaugural meeting of the 2001
> Board.

Absolutely.

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957