Scrapping RCS (fwd)

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:34:14 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
cc: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, Mike Cormier <aq421@chebucto.ns.ca>, Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>, michael@csuite.ns.ca,

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Christopher Majka wrote:
[snip]
> 2) Something (not RCS, yes?) injects the <link> elements into HTML files.
> Mostly useful in ascribing ownership to files and hence the Lynx C)omment
> function. However, this hasn't really been widely employed and (I
> sometimes fear) is a convenient source from which spam engines harvest
> addresses.
[snip]

If the addresses were coded as "mailto:username&#64;domain" instead
of "mailto:username@domain" this would break most of the spammers'
harvesters.  Most of them just look for anything with '@' in the middle.

I have already tossed a suggestion at the tech team that some script be
generated that would change all occurrences of '@' in selected html files
into '&#64;' to foil the harvesters -- possibly one that could be run
against a directory for IPs and that could be run against tagged files
in lynx for users.

Additional obfuscation, such as:

<quote>
If you have any comments about this site<br>
<A HREF="mailto:%20af380&#64;( Norman )chebucto( De Forest ).ns( CIH.html ).ca">
send me an email message</A>.</P>
</quote>

can be left up to the editors.  And, yes, that address works in an HTML
document.  I have had three requests for assistance with virus problems
addressed:
    To: af380@( Norman )chebucto( De Forest ).ns( CIH.html ).ca
since I started changing the addresses on my web pages (not quite
finished).

--
Norman De Forest          http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
af380@chebucto.ns.ca           [=||=]          (A Speech Friendly Site)