IPDB Testing...

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:59:18 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Johnathan Thibodeau <am341@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN-Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Johnathan,

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Johnathan Thibodeau wrote:

> Hey, I've got a few things that might be worth looking into.
>
> ######Postal Code#####
> I created an IP (ip-1096), The Combined Presence of Internet Programmers
> (TCP/IP). For a postal code I entered in 555 %%%, and it took it. A valid
> Canadian postal code is always L#L #L# (letter number letter space
> number letter number). All postal code in Nove Scotia start with a B, and
> all in Halifax have the next number 3 (I know, not everbody is as
> fasinated by the postal system as I am).
>
> My point is that this would be easy to check for, the format anyway (if
> your really daring you can check it out against Canada Post's online
> datebase :).
>
> But what about the Americans. If you wanted to let US groups get accounts
> (have we ever had any in the past?), the you could just accept alphanum
> characters.

There are at least 3-4 IPs that now have US postal addresses. These were
started by Haligonians who subsequently moved to the USA and continue to
administer them from there. (There was once an application from Korea by
an ex-pat Haligonian teach ESL but it didn't come to fruition). I don't
how much of an advantage it would be to have the script check for strings
of different types given the various possibilities. If some on makes a
blunder we'll eventually run across it.

> ######Liason Email#####
> With the same account I set the liason email to be (555) 555-5555, not
> good. This is a more likely error because there are usually two
> teletphone fields, and the field above it the Liaison Telephone field,
> minds can get mixed up and enter the phone number twice, the second time
> into the e-mail field.
>
> Filtering e-mail addresses it a snap
> ([[:alnum:]]+@[[:alnum:]]+\.[[:alnum:]]+[[:alnum:].], or somthing like
> that). Again if your feeling really ambitious, you can check the username
> against the host :).

This seems sensible.

> I'm not done checking yet, but I'll keep trying.

Keep at it!

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka             Internet: <nextug@is.dal.ca>
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada            <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Home Page:  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa051/Profile.html

"I have discovered the art of deceiving diplomats. I speak
the truth and they never believe me."	- Camillo di Cavour