IPDB Testing...

Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:30:23 -0300 (ADT)
From: Johnathan Thibodeau <am341@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN-Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hey, I've got a few things that might be worth looking into.

######Postal Code#####
I created an IP (ip-1096), The Combined Presence of Internet Programmers
(TCP/IP). For a postal code I entered in 555 %%%, and it took it. A valid
Canadian postal code is always L#L #L# (letter number letter space
number letter number). All postal code in Nove Scotia start with a B, and
all in Halifax have the next number 3 (I know, not everbody is as
fasinated by the postal system as I am).

My point is that this would be easy to check for, the format anyway (if
your really daring you can check it out against Canada Post's online
datebase :).

But what about the Americans. If you wanted to let US groups get accounts
(have we ever had any in the past?), the you could just accept alphanum
characters.

######Liason Email#####
With the same account I set the liason email to be (555) 555-5555, not
good. This is a more likely error because there are usually two
teletphone fields, and the field above it the Liaison Telephone field,
minds can get mixed up and enter the phone number twice, the second time
into the e-mail field.

Filtering e-mail addresses it a snap
([[:alnum:]]+@[[:alnum:]]+\.[[:alnum:]]+[[:alnum:].], or somthing like
that). Again if your feeling really ambitious, you can check the username
against the host :).

I'm not done checking yet, but I'll keep trying.

						Johnathan