Status of the IPDB modificaitons... (fwd)

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:59:41 -0300 (ADT)
From: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Giselle Corkum <corkum@cs.dal.ca>
Cc: "David J. Murdoch" <murdoch@chebucto.ns.ca>

Unchanged really... 466-4490

david potter

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:42:54 -0300 (ADT)
From: David L. Potter <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
Cc: Michael Cormier <aq421@chebucto.ns.ca>, Doug McCann <mccannd@gov.ns.ca>,
    Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>,
    David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>,
    Michael Smith <michael@chebucto.ns.ca>,
    Jason Kenney <jason@csuite.ns.ca>
Subject: Status of the IPDB modificaitons...

I just spoke to David Murdoch about this project... we really need to
pull together a few more resources to make this happen...

What _has_ been done:

1) I've created an 'Add New IP' script that presents a screen modeled
after: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/n_agree.html

In all likelyhood, this could be accessed by either the office/editors
and or available on the web for an organization to start their own
application.

The routine produces a basic ipdb record (no money stuff) that is located
in ipdb/pending

-----

2) I've created an (office) script that will look for either a user id,
an IP id  (eg. ip-hapcs) or search for a user name (eg. 'robinson'), or a
word from the IP name (eg. 'Anglican')...

and...

will retrieve the record either from the namedb/pending or... from
the ipdb (or ipdb/pending)

# this makes it easy for the office to find a record... one tool for all
# searches

2.a) ...having found the namedb/ipdb record the routine displays a
'money' type screen that allows the office to record a payment of some
sort. Money transaction for ip's follows same routing/checks as the
regular namedb money entries. THIS NEEDS TO BE TESTED...

-----

2.b) If this is a new IP (ie a record from ipdb/pending/...) AND if the
IP directory ($dirname) is provided...

The money transaction (included 'assisted', or whatever it's called...)
will trigger the IP creation process...

+  the data record will be moved from ipdb/pending to ipdb
+  the IP-DIRS entry will be created
+  the main 'email' account will be spooled ready for creation
+  the webmaster 'ftp' account will be spooled ready for creation
   ***the accounts will be in the form: $dirname (email) and,
   ip-$dirname (ftp)

##  SOME OF THIS HAS BEEN DONE - TESTING NEEDED

Note: if the transaction includes more than one email address, the office
will add/update them in the same fashion as family memberships are
currently... THIS NEEDS WORK

In the short term what needs to be done:

1) we probably need to make some adjustments to the ipdb format. As an
example, namedb used 'fullname' and the ipdb uses 'ipname' we should
probalby standardize as much as possible so that common data has a common
fieldname...

2) we need to modify the routines that editors will use to update/review
ipdb records so that, the basic record can be edited (webmaster
name/email, etc..) and that the account status info is 'displayed' but
not editable by non-office (money) folks.

3) we need to disable the 'delete ip' functionality, from here on in no
IP records will be removed from the database unless they are moved to a
'secure' archive.

This probably means we need to have a proper 'status' and that routines
such as the one that builds IP-DIRS ignores records that do not have an
'active' status...

4) we need some 'formal' testing...

david potter