Page update (further)...

Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 19:24:25 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: editors@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sun, 7 May 2000,   wrote:

> Hmmm...the problem I can see happening is that we are now removing the
> service bar from the bottom of the Lynx pages and will not be offering
> them at the top unless the user loads each page through http...ie..a major
> pain.

Take a look at template.shtml now. What I've done is wrapped the Lynx
<title> tag, and the navigation bar code, around <!--#if expr="" -->
... <!--#endif -->, which means that the webserver will ignore it, but
Lynx will see it.

This means the navigation bar as visible to Lynx in
file://localhost/... mode is hardcoded in each file you edit, which takes
away some of the use of the SSI templates I guess, but I think it's better
than nothing.

I've changed the links on the navigation bar to point to http:// URLs, and
the .shtml versions of files (which for now are just symlinks to the real
.html files).

> Could Lynx be patched to grab whatever is not being retrieved now via
> localhost?

We'd have to go through everything and make sure it always uses http://
links everywhere. I'm not sure that's feasible, but it may happen over
time.