Process question

Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 17:36:24 -0300
From: bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca (Bob Adams)
To: Mark Ronald Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Mark, with existing IPs, the only way I know of assigning a new IPE is to enter
that person's CCN user ID in the already existing database record. The database
requires that someone be there, not just as editor, but also to receive IP mail,
etc.

The only way around it would be to delete the original database record and take
out some other kind of new IP that requires only a password to FTP. I have heard
these discussed on CCN lists, but have not seen anything.

I might add after just seeing David Murdoch's reply ...

> This needs some discussion bacause it moves the IP editors with such
> access you describe to a more distant relationship with CCN.

It is my observation that almost every (perhaps all) those wishing to take over
an outdated site *ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT a CCN account*. It takes a lot of
coaxing to get them to take out one. They can't stand more bureaucracy,
registering on-line, delivering dirvers license or other ID's, being asked for
money, etc. Most already have 2 or 3 accounts elsewhere and don't want more.
They don't need another login and another password. From many I detect they
would like nothing better than to take the IP site to their own ISP where they
can manage it from their familiar connect.

Much of the same applies to those bringing an existing site in to become a CCN
IP. Somebody else in the organization might want it hosted on CCN. But the
proposed IPE won't follow through on getting a CCN account. I have seen a couple
simply go away.
In one case the person skilled at html and page organization etc. refused to
take out an account. So somebody else unskilled volunteered to be be the IPE
only to the extent they would take out an account, and simply FTP the pages that
the creator zipped and emailed to him. Actually they were resorting to sharing
around the account login and password because the official IPE1 found the
process confusing. I think they have disappeared.

Bob Adams
IP Training
464-9258