Helping the Ogoni People in Nigeria

From: <teegua@cableregina.com>
To: <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:44:13 -0400

Greetings from Saskatchewan, Canada.

My name is Barikor Menegbo and I am the coordinator of the Movement for the
Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP) in Canada.

I am writing today to introduce myself and ask for help with the Ogoni people in
Nigeria. Ogoni land in Nigeria has been devastated by the multinational oil giant
Shell along with the Nigerian government.

Since 1993, more than 5000 Ogoni people have been killed and the land of oil has
been devastated. The Ogoni people are facing grief and hardship because they are
denied the guarantee of human rights as well as being refused any benefits from the
sale of the oil. Shell has carted away over $30 billion (US) from Ogoni land. The oil
company and the government get rich from our land while the inhabitants stay
impoverished.

We believe that Shell and the Nigerian government stop immediately the current
human rights abuses in Ogoni land, killing of Ogoni people, destruction of Ogoni
villages and properties and illegal claiming of Ogoni land. They should urgently look
into the Ogoni Bill of Rights.

I would appreciate any help you can give to further bring to light the problems of the
Ogoni people. As well, if you could furnish any websites or contacts of people who
could help us with our mission, your help would be greatly appreciated.. Please
contact me by phone or by email.

Thanks for your help.

Barikor Menegbo
Coordinator of MOSOP in Canada