CCN mail lists and info

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:01:21 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Editors <editors@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Potter <ab934@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Mark!

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Mark Rushton wrote:

> Regarding:
>
> >> There is a considerable amount of documentation on the operation of
> >> mailing lists accessible from the IP pages (go ip)
> >Yes: I frankly wish we could get more people to pay attention to the
> >materials in:
> >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/MailList/MjDOwner.html
> >http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/Training/majordomo.users.html
> >In my experience, the great majority of CCN IPE's knowledge of majordomo
> >is still very fragmentary.
>
> I think I know all I need to at the moment ;-)  However, upon perusing the
> documents (and those linked from) you cited above, I see only limited
> information on MajorDomo commands, i.e., the basics.  Where is the
> documentation on other listowner commands?
> (MARK GOES BACK TO NETSCAPE, POKES AROUND SOME MORE)
> ...okay, wanted to be sure I wasn't shortchanging you guys on this one.  I
> did find the page where the "config", "newconfig", and "writeconfig"
> commands appear.  I'm not sure that having them come under a page that's
> linked with text about "...when things get out of hand..." is sufficient!
> Perhaps a glossary of commands might make the documentation more
> accessible?

This might be a good idea. I went back myself and looked a little more
carefully at some of the majordomo documentation and discovered that there
was more there than I realized. I need to brush up on some of this. ;->

> Is there a MajorDomo generic information page somewhere out
> there on the WWW?

I don't know. David Potter: are you aware of any other generic resources
that might be helpful?

> Also, at the bottom of the page:
>
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/MailList/AboutMailLists.html

This is great! I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't realized these materials
were here.

> The text refers to a "Draft Policy - Mailing List Creation" that is
> currently "under review".  Is it?  Or should  the "Draft" part of this be
> changed?

David P: Has this moved beyond 'draft' yet?

BTW: rendering on the page /csuite/info/Policy/MailList/ML_Terms.html is
broken (possibly as a result of an extra bar space in the < body> tag.
This results in all the @@@SHORT_NAME@@@, @@@FULL_NAME@@@, &
@@@LEGAL_NAME@@@ code remaining un-rendered. I don't have permission to
edit these documents so I trust you can take remedial action ...

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom