Graphic Interface <-> Home.html

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:12:48 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Michael T. Smith" <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: David Potter <potter@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, David Potter wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Peter Morgan wrote:
>
> > with various bits plugged in -- a tip, the board message etc. I know how to
> > do this on some servers with server side includes. Is there a similar
> > capability with csuite? Of course, a more complex solution, involving
> > cookies and things to present a non-dail-in user with his/her dynamic
> > content would be great, but if we could easily modify the home page html
> > that would be a first step.

I think we should set up PHP. PHP is a really great language for dynamic
Web design that doesn't necessarily have much of a learning curve. We
could have something like:

<? include "standard-header.php" >
	at the top of every webpage and
<? include "standard-footer.php" >

at the bottom. The header & footer would pick up the user's browser and
location and give them a different format based on that (so we could have
a good graphical design and still look great in Lynx).

We'd have to make some modifications to PHP for security, and maybe so
that only IPs (i.e. docs under /csuite/info) could use it. IMHO PHP can be
just as good as, if not better than, giving IPs full CGI access.