Zmailer Open Relay

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 01:39:57 -0400
From: "hrdware" <hrdware@sprint.ca>
To: csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca

On 14/04/00 at 4:20 PM Michael Smith wrote:

>I can make a tarball of the version we're including with CSuite 1.1,
>2.99.52-patch1. I'll have to modify it a lot to fit into the CSuite 1.0
>structure, so it will still take some work, but in the end it's probably
>better than hacking up 2.99.48 to reject spam at the router.
>
>If there aren't many required changes, you
>may be able to install from the stock 2.99.52-patch1 available on
>ftp.funet.fi. I'll just tell you what to modify or send some patches.

Tell you what, I have a test system right now, on which I have
a version 1.0 csuite install. I can try installing the stock 2.99 with
patches. Normally I would simply kill the zmailer process, backup
the current config files from zmailer that are not contained in it's
home dir and the proceed with compiling the new version and
installing per instructions.

Thing is.. I am unsure of this whole csuite situation. First of all,
did you have to make some modifications to Zmailer to get it
to work with csuite? Second can you give me a little list of things
to check, to make sure it either works or it doesn't.

Third of all, how can I test on my lan if the policy changes I make
are really blocking mail relaying? Can I test it  my mimicking a relay
attempt from either my other unix or win95 box?

Thanks for your help. As you could imagine, this problem is quite
serious at the momment and it may cause us to shutdown the mailer
completely if we don't get this fixed in the next couple of days.

Andy
hrdware@sprint.ca