Redhat 5.2 errors in compile

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 23:40:37 -0400
From: "hrdware" <hrdware@sprint.ca>
To: csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca

greets Michael,

Here are the lines from my inetd.conf:

#ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /csuite/etc/ftpd -l -a -
u0133

Here I tried to ftp to myself while the first line in the inetd.conf file was
active.

[grimm@clublibertel grimm]$ ftp 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
220 clublibertel.qc.ca FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18](1) Mon Aug 3
 19:17:20 EDT 1998) ready.
Name (127.0.0.1:grimm):

Here I tried with the Csuite ftpd in the inetd.conf active:

[grimm@clublibertel grimm]$ ftp 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

As a further test, I copied the ftpd file from the redhat install (/usr/sbin/in.ftpd) to the
/csuite/etc/ftpd/ftpd and restarted the machine with the csuite line in
the inetd.conf active.

I get the same error as above. So it doesn't seem to be the binary file itself.

So then I tried renaming the ftpd file to in.ftpd and modifying the line in inetd.conf
and it still didn't work. Last thing I tried was duplicating the original inetd.conf line
from the redhat install but pointing to the /csuite/etc/ftpd/in.ftpd file, removing the
-u1033 switch. Still same error. 421, Service not available.

Any ideas what it could be? Where can I begin troubleshooting? Note the
first time I installed csuite without the shadow pw it all worked fine. I didn't
fiddle with anything in between aside from recompile csuite. So something
broke along the way and I am not sure what.

Andy