Pine lockfile problem SERIOUS! (fwd).

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:29:51 -0300 (ADT)
From: David Potter <potter@csuite.ns.ca>
To: csuite-tech <csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: csuite-setup <csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date:	Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:46:07 -0300
Sender: garagan@ug.cs.dal.ca
From:	Sean Garagan <garagan@ug.cs.dal.ca>
To:	David Lott <david@pgfn.bc.ca>,
	"David J. Murdoch" <murdoch@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc:	CSuite Setup <csuite-setup@chebucto.ns.ca>,
	CSuite Technical Team <csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>,
	Report System Problems <support@pgfn.bc.ca>,
	beta-pine@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: Re: Pine lockfile problem  SERIOUS! (fwd)

On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 07:13:16AM -0700, David Lott wrote:

> From: Sean Garagan <garagan@ug.cs.dal.ca>
>
> > I looked at Pine on csuite and it creates files named /tmp/.813.XXX[a-z].  I
> > was wondering what OS you are using.  I switched pine to use the system temp
> > file library calls (I can't remember which one off hand) because the method
> > they use allows for race condition attacks using temp files.  Some OS's have
> > broken temp file library calls, so I may have to do a bit more work on the
> > temp file creation.
>
> Sean, we are also running pine-3.96-7 as supplied with Red Hat Linux
> release 5.0 (Hurricane)  Kernel 2.0.32 on an i586 for command line
> accounts.  It creates the temp files correctly.  (Mine right now is
> /tmp/.811.7fa)
>
> CSuite pine (PINE 3.95.iB1.0) always creates a file called /tmp/.811.0
>
> Hope this helps you.

Hi David,

Yes it does, thank you.  We are looking for a system here that we can set up
to what you have and try to reproduce it.  The one question I forgot to ask
was what libc are you using?  You can see this by using ldconfig -v and look
for the libc entry.  There are two different ones out there, libc5 and libc6
(aka glibc2).  I have seen problems regarding the tmpfile creation for
these, so that could be the problem.

Sean