a few questions

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:07:28 -0400 (AST)
From: David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>
To: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Mark Rushton wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> You about ready to head down this way?  ;-)

How long would you need me for?

> Seriously, though.  The test install will probably happen early in January.
> I'll chat with the techs and see what they think about having someone down
> for a visit.  The fellow in Havana speaks english pretty well, too.  Don't
> know about the people in Holguin (where the more in-depth test will run).

I'd be interested in how the more in-depth test goes.

> I am reading through the RoadMap.htm  file, and wanted to ask about:
>
> -------
> 31.Install french documents (optional)
>
>        If you wish to have a bilingual site then proceed with this step,
> otherwise skip to the next step. Again, you can use tail to follow the
> progress, this time the file is "make.install-fr.*". Once you have
> completed this step you will have bilingual documents available, as well as
> bilingual scripts.
> --------
>
> This is jumping the gun a bit, but thought I'd ask - if we're going to move
> to develop a spanish version of CSuite, should we install the bilingual
> French files and modify those, or just go with the basic english install
> and then duplicate/translate later?  I'm just wondering about where the
> french versions go (and therefore the spanish) - same directory or new file
> structure?

The French documentation is just the English translated, have a
file.html.fr extension format and reside in the same directory as their
cousin English documents.

The French language functions are constructed differently. Each function
has to be trialed, translated and the dynamic strings (the ones that are
translated) are put into a special dictionary file for each language. Its
that special file that the function calls when it is executed.

So, the straight translation should be easy. The functions are more
complex as a relational or positional aspect of the words comes into play.

I hope that made some sense?

> Also, with regard to this message:
>
> =======
> Now you can proceed to the post-install documentation to find out more
> information about what to do now, as well as
>        find information about the jobs involved in the daily running of
> your new community net.
> -------
>
> Where is the post-install documentation?

The csuite user, passwd determined during install, has bookmarked links in
the files area. Login as user csuite. Then 'g files' should list the
bookmarks.

> That's all for today... hope the weather is fine where you are (I finally
> made it to the beach yesterday after 2.5 months in Cuba.  All work and no
> play...)

Good for you! Have some fun while you are in Paradise:)

> ciao,
> Mark

> Mark Rushton is in Cuba until mid-January, 2000, researching community
> networking initiatives with a grant from the Canadian International Development
> Agency (CIDA).  A member of the Nova Scotia-Cuba Assoc. (http://www.nscuba.org)
> Canada:  5669 Inglis St. Apt. 5, Halifax, N.S., B3H 1K2, (902) 429-5547
> In Cuba: Calle 25 #1167, e/ 8 y 10, Apto. 14.  (537) 30-1490
> Email:  Mark@jcce.org.cu (in Cuba) or  Mark@chebucto.ns.ca (Canada)

Regards,
David Murdoch CET
--
     Regional Community Access Project (CAP) Coordinator for HRM,
     Operations Manager and Technical Coordinator, Chebucto Community Net