superuser or root?

To: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 21:43:29 -0400
From: Jim McKinney <jmck@ece.cmu.edu>

> On Sun, 9 May 1999, James R. Hay wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 9 May 1999, David L. Potter wrote:
> >
> > > The problems with minimum session, idled and timerd are probably relate
> > > and associated with the configuration files:
>
> Actually the big problem turned out to be two lines in vars which had open
> quote marks on values.  Once I put in the missing quote mark at the right
> end it started working.
>
> Now to see why ftpd is closing connections.

My knee jerk reaction is to check /etc/shells on the machine and make
sure that the appropriate shell is in there.  ftpd is pretty quiet about
this, but if you have an /etc/shells file and a user has a shell that
isn't listed then it will just silently exit, or at best give something
like "user blah access forbidden".

thanx
 -jmck
--
Jim McKinney					jmck@ece.cmu.edu
System Administrator Manager, ECE		Office: HH1304