HELP ME PLEASE (fwd)

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:04:32 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Michael T. Smith" <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: tazman@renc.igs.net
cc: csuite-install@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dan,

Good thing it was Thanksgiving ;)

If you don't know the root password, reboot and wait until you see the
LILO: boot prompt. Hit [TAB] to get a list of boot images -- it's probably
"linux". Enter
	linux init=/bin/bash
Then when you get a bash# prompt, run
	mount -o remount,rw /
to remount the file system read-write, change root's password with
``passwd root'', and run
	mount -o remount,ro /
	sync
	sync
	sync
	(now hit the reset button, this isn't too safe if the partitions
	wouldn't remount read-only again)

OK, so you have root the root password now. The filesystems are being
mounted read-only because there are errors (the machine wasn't properly
shut down). Log in as root and make sure they're still mounted read-only
(run ``mount''). Run
	fsck -A
When all the errors are fixed you should probably reboot.

 ---
Michael Smith
michael@csuite.ns.ca
 ---