[Fwd: ATINS service]

Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:15:53 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Troy Cole <troycole@hfx.eastlink.ca>
cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, Troy Cole <troycole@hfx.eastlink.ca>

Hi Troy,

> As I think you have already heard from Robert, he is "passing the torch"
> of Webmaster on to Katie Dupont. I have been working with her to develop
> a new website along with some other ATINS related print items. It seems
> that with so much work being done the this is perhaps a good time to
> review how things are presently set up.
>
> Robert had mentioned that the site is presently set up on one of your
> older servers and requires a little bit of special treatment to actually
> activate files and so on. I'm not entirely clear on what this additional
> process is... I'm not exactly a telnet kind of guy. I'm accustomed to
> standard ftp for getting the files into place and activated. We were
> wondering if during our switch over to the new site would be a good time
> to re-evaluate how the site is being housed.
>
> Perhaps to get the discussion started I will list a few questions below:
>
> • What would be involved in setting up the ATINS site in a new location
> that would allow straight ftp access?

Michael Smith has answered this already.

> • If we did set up a new location would it be possible to maintain one
> page in the old location informing visitors who have that page
> bookmarked that the site has moved. This would only need to be in place
> for a few months to allow visitors to change their bookmarks.

By 'new location' I assume you mean something like www.atins.ns.ca, yes?
This is what is called a virtual domain name, and yes the CCN supports
these. The files don't actually get moved to a new location. The new URL
is simply aliased to the previous location. Visitors using either URLs get
to one and the same place.

> • Does the site now, or would it in the new location have the ability to
> process CGI's? I'm only thinking about a simple e-mail form which would
> allow visitors to easily send questions and comments through the
> website.

Again, Michael has answered this better than I could.

> • If we were able to set it up in a new location, would there be a new
> cost associated with this? I think that presently the ATINS makes a
> donation to Chebucto FreeNet as it is a Non-Profit organization.

For fee schedules check:

   Linkname: Non-Profit Neighbourhood Accounts - Chebucto Community Net

> And here is the big kicker... If we were to make these changes to
> location we would hope to have it in place for Monday of next week
> (September 25). Would that be possible?

You would first have to register the domain name. Once this has been done
you pay for the service at the CCN. After that setting up a virtual domain
is quite quick. At this stage (11:16 PM on the 23rd) you couldn't hope to
do all of this by the 25th, but, nonetheless it shouldn't take to long to
accomplish.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957