Interim IP registration proposal

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:29:39 -0400
To: jwarnica@ns.sympatico.ca (Jeff Warnica)
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Jeff,

Thanks for your input!

The process may indeed seem a bit backward, but given our timeline,
the board directive, and the need to resolve this issue, it can't be
helped.

 From my reading of your comments, I think they would be very helpful
in the discussion within CCN-Tech regarding the eventual design and
implementation of the modified IPDB.

This particular thread is only intended to identify whether there are
serious technical impediments to going ahead with an _interim_
solution to our IP registration problem, until the modified IPDB is
ready to go.   In fact, as I am moving through this, I see a number
of points in the discussions with Ed, Chris and Andrew that would
seem to be worth considering in the new IPDB concept.

Also, you wrote:
>However, this discussion has been centered around keeping or getting rid of
>the IPDB. And this is neither the question we should be asking, nor the
>paths we should be taking.

We are not asking this question.  The IPDB stays - that's a decision
made by the Board.  The Tech team is now tasked with working out a
suitable modification + interface that jointly accesses both NameDB
and IPDB to provide the functionality that has been identified months
ago.

>Currently, as it stands, the distinction between accounts that go into
>NAMEDB, and those which go into IPDB, to me, is unclear, and random at best.

NameDB accounts are individual user accounts.
the IPDB is being modified to make use of some of the NameDB
functionality, including expiry, quota tracking, money, etc.  Thus,
the IPDB will be "calling" a related record in the NameDB.  Records
are now going to be created in both databases to serve each
organization.  It's actually a great workaround to the alternative -
re-designing and creating a new database file from scratch.

>So, if you really want useful feedback in what's possible, and to generate
>interest in getting people implementing the required features then what you
>should do first is create a list of features you want/need, why you
>want/need them, and (if) where they currently exist, and steps for
>implementing these.

This, I believe, was done months ago (at least the first part).  The
steps needed for implementation have been left in the tech cttee's
hands, as it should be.  I haven't been at the tech cttee meetings,
so I can't comment on what's happening there.

The bulk of your comments, as I said, would seem to me to apply more
to the tech cttee's discussion of the overall IPDB design - and as I
understood only about 1/2 of it, I'll leave it for that forum.

All of that said, unless there are solid / critical / technical
reasons for not moving forward, we have a need to implement this
interim IP registration process ASAP.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark.
--