VDN registration, our documentation

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:21:41 -0300 (ADT)
Fake-Sender: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Mark Rushton wrote:
>
> > ...which is very easy, but there is no correlation between the info on our
> > "vdn.html" page and where it's supposed to go on the network solutions page.
> >
> > I saw no place for entering David's technical contact info.
>
> "Technical Contact". The Technical Contact NIC handle should be
> PR1488-ORG. Enter this next to the Technical Contact role on the Contact
> Information page. Then, if you don't already have a NIC handle, enter your
> ne contact information to get one (you'll be Administrative Contact and
> Billing Contact).
>
> > (who's hoping he didn't just buy microsoft.com by mistake...)
>
> heh heh... ;)
>
> I'd recommend against using networksolutions, they are evil and always
> have been. They will delay your registration just because they (think
> they) can. There are now registrars you can use that don't have to pay any
> of your money to NSI. (Strangely enough I don't think anyone's lowered
> their registration fees yet... #*$(*@@)

According to posts in the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup and on the
SPAM-L mailing list, networksolutions are also spammers.  And you can't
opt-out of their mailings that are unrelated to your registration without
also opting out of any notifications concerning your registration.  And
they only implemented an opt-out system after (a) they got the server they
used for their commercial spams in the RBL, (b) they started playing silly
buggers with IP numbers to move that server away from the block, and (c)
they were nominated for a full block in the RBL.  Some anti-spammers feel
that they should be blackholed permanently.

As far as alternate registries are concerned, according to a post to
SPAM-L there are two alternates:

: The new master server for com/org/net is whois.crsnic.net.  It tells you
: which registrar registered any particular name, with a pointer to the
: appropriate server.  There's at least three active now, NSI, register.com,
: and corenic.net, and I presume AOL's should be showing up soon.

I think he left a smiley out after that last phrase.  :)

--
A Speech Friendly site:      http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
Norman De Forest, af380@chebucto.ns.ca --- From an actual package: "Do not