http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/ask_office.html

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:57:19 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Holly Irving <H.Irving@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Joyce McGrath <ax604@chebucto.ns.ca>, Joyce Dagnall <ax507@chebucto.ns.ca>, Cliff Tyner <dplayers@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi all,

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Holly Irving wrote:

> A simple problem for the technical people.

Oj, vey - I wish it was simple (or even entierly technical)! ;->

> Since one of the last upgrades I have again been receiving some mail for
> dplayers. We had this same problem a couple of years ago, when I was
> listed as the IP. I do belong to the Dartmouth Players and at one time I
> thought I was going to have time to take the IP training but it never
> happened.
>
> Penny Dann looks after the Dartmouth Players Email. but the account may be
> in Cliff Tyners name since he pays the bills and his abode is the official
> address for Dartmouth Players.

All this results from what is a highly confusing and regretable set of
circumstances and events which (I hope) we can move towards sorting out.

There exist two 'entities' on the CCN:

1) There is a *private user account* <dplayers@chebucto.ns.ca> which
belongs to Cliff Tyner. It is regretable that this custom user login was
selected (i advised him against doing so) since it makes it appear as if
this account was formally associated with the Dartmouth Players Website,
which it is not.

If Cliff Tyner is no longer responsible for this account (and Penny Dann
should technically *not* be using it since it is a violation of the CCN
User Agreement to give a user account to someone else) then it really
should be closed, or at least closed and then re-opened as an account
under her name.

2) There is an *administrative majordomo mailing-list*
<d-players@chebucto.ns.ca> (see where the confusion arises ... ;->) which
is the internal administrative list associated with the Dartmouth Players
site. The intent of this list is as a contact list for matters pertaining
to your organization. It's a private list so I can't look at the
membership, however who *should* be on it (and I have every reason to
believe are on it) are:

          Joyce McGrath
          Holly Irving
          Joyce Dagnall

Who are the current editors of the site. Thus mail to
<d-players@chebucto.ns.ca> is distributed to all three of you. This
feature is integrated into the CCN's C)omment feature and establishes the
ownership of all the documents in your site.

I recommend that:

You close the account dplayers and Penny Dann registers for an account
under her own name (which may or may not be dplayers: I recommend not
since it's confusing with d-players). Then she can be added to the
administrative list d-players. If one of you *doesn't* want to be a member
of the list (since you won't be fielding inquiries) then you can simply
un-subscribe yourselves from the it.

If you have been using the dplayers address as a contact for the
organization and would prefer to retain it rather than d-players then our
technical staff can make the change of moving the name once the individual
account has been closed.

> With my own account.  In addition my sister has had mail bounced back to
> her saying that H.Irving does not exist. ( Rather hard on the ego I must
> admit and is this some predisposition to my demise ? )
>
> At least twice recently I have had complaints that mail I reply to is
> exactly the same as what they have sent me. My editions and deletions
> have dissapeared.

I can't comment on this: perhaps one of our technical people can. I have
found that case sometimes seems to have an effect with such custom user
logins on the CCN. Thus H.Irving may not be the same as h.irving or
variations thereon. I'll let the technical people comment.

> Finally I would like to thank Chebucto for the wonderful service they
> provide. It has opened up my life and many nore significantly.
>
> It enables clubs such as Run Nova Scotia and the the Nova Scotia Drama
> Leaugue to keep in touch with their outlying members.
>
> Many Many Thanks

You're very welcome! It's our pleasure to work with community
organizations like the Dartmouth Players towards our joint goal of making
this community a better and more vibrant place to live!

Onwards!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html