file storage space online

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:49:47 -0400
To: ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca
From: ljdeveau@glinx.com
Cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi people,

Re. below, thought this might be of interest to some of you. Wonder if its
realistic to consider as a service here at CCN and what would it entail ?
Would there be sufficient local interest ?

Cheers,
Leo
-------

>     This is not a recommendation.  I have never used any of these services:
>
>from The New York Times, October 22, 1998, page D6:
>        ... Backing up files over the Internet is fast becoming the most
>popular method of off-site storage.  Most on-line backup companies store your
>data by copying files from your computer to one of theirs via modem, using
>the company's software, which can automate the process.  Files copied over
>the phone lines can be retrieved the same way...
>        ... Off-site storage prices start at about $20 a month.  A Web search
>will turn up a selection of companies that offer such services, including
>Offsite Data Management Services (www.odms.com), Connected Online Backup
>(www.connected.com) and Mailsafe (www.cyberhost9.net/msoffsit).

_________________________________
Leo J. Deveau
Executive Director
Chebucto Community Net
Halifax, N.S.
Canada
"The real miracle is not to walk either on water
or in thin air but to walk on earth."
- Thich Nhat Hanh

"The Earth is an island."
-Matthew Buntain