Virtual Domain Name Fees

Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:22:51 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "Andrew D. Wright" <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>, Doug McCann <mccannd@gov.ns.ca>

Hi all,

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Andrew D. Wright wrote:

> 	The IP fee schedule should have a prominent link off of the main
> IP support page, should it not? I had some trouble finding it and I
> started with the knowledge that it was there to be found.
>
> Currently:
>
> IP support page => VDN => fee structure
>

> Strikes me that you would want IP fees to be among the first things that
> people hitting the main page would see. Maybe a link that says
> 'Information Provider Fees'...? Next to no one will find it where it is
> now.

The thig is this: there are no fixed fees for IPs except for those
interested in acquiring VDNs. Thus every one interested in the so-called
'CCN IP Premium Service' (i.e. VDNs +) will be lead to the information,
while others will not. It could be linked to the main IP Support page but
it might cause more confusion then not as non-VDN IPs would read it and
think that it applied to them, etc. The current pathway makes furnishes
the information to those who are interested in the service while keeping
it out of the way to those who are not.

Actually, looking at this more carefully, perhaps we should rename this
page to be called 'Member Services' since the first three fees apply to
individual memberships, whereas the following two apply to IPs. I've
tweaked this accordingly and have added a category called "Basic IP
Membership" for which there is no fixed fee. however, IPs are reminded
that they donate to the CCN according to their means. This is in keeping
with our principal that IP memberships on the CCN are not free; simply
that there is no current fixed fee. Perhaps in this context it does make
sense to link the fee structure to the IP Support Home Page?

Let me know if this structure and information seems clear.

Cheers,

Chris

N.B. I have accordingly re-named the page:

	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/member-fees.html

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"Often his editorial policy was a nice compromise between blackmail and
begging"                - William Allen White, The Nation, Jun 18, 1938