CNN premium service

Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:46:43 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Doug McCann <MCCANND@gov.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi all,

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Doug McCann wrote:

> As you can see from the following how our overall pricing strategy has
> our members and prospective members confused.
>
> As I pointed out in the membership/services/fund-raising summary (board
> only), some IPs may consider the individual membership (IP editor) fee
> their IP fee.

This is true: it's not the first time that someone has failed to grasp the
distinction between a user account and a CCN IP to which individual
accounts can, so to speak, be accredited.

With our current structure which distinguishes between individuals and
information providers (which I think is a good one) such confusion is
bound on occasion to arise. I think what we need to keep doing is to look
at some of our IP materials to ensure that we carefuly and clearly point
out the distinctions. There may be room for improvement here.

Mostly, once we point out the distinction, people quite quickly grasp the
structure. There have only been a couple of 'refractory' cases where
people have really had a hard time grasping the structure. ;->

> Once we have provided an IP with a PPP account, we lose control on how
> many individuals in the organization use the one account.  Currently, we
> only provide one PPP for families with additional space for each family
> member.  All at the family membership rate.
>
> With FTP, there is no requirement for disk space on CCN, other than for
> production pages.  Work-in-progress can be accomplished off-line.

True enough.

> In the meanwhile, what do (or should) we charge for additional services:
>     per X megabytes of disk space
>     e-mail accounts
>     per customized e-mail accounts

I think David Murdoch's suggestions in this regard are excellent.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"Often his editorial policy was a nice compromise between blackmail and
begging"                - William Allen White, The Nation, Jun 18, 1938