IP Merge

From: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:06:46 -0300

Some answers to questions:

The various membership categories define two basic elements - resources and
fees.

Assisted/student/sponsored are terms that identify a class of membership that
includes non-voting members.  I would offer that CCN has the discretion to
provide the resources required by the applicant, without reference to the fee
paid. Initial limits are set to ration resources provided, but not access.
Upon application to CCN (board for example), more resources could be provided
on a one-to-one case basis.

Individual/Family/Organization/Business are terms that identify a class of
membership that requires a different type of registration.  Individual requires
a single account; Family requires multiple accounts; Organization requires one
or more accounts and web hosting and limited technical support; Business
requires one or more accounts, web hosting, other special technical resources
and support.

With each level, the registration process becomes more complex.  The separation
of individual and family allows a simple procedure of single accounts versus
more complex administration for families. Separating the IP community into
organization and business allows the relatively simple requirements of a non-
profit group to be handled more efficiently versus a business.  Most small
organization only require FTP to maintain their site.  They may need the
support of an IP Editor.  Account requirements are similar to the family
category, except that web space is shared among the page editors.

The Business category could be complex or simple.  Metro Transit, for example,
is a site maintained by a 'webmaster' who may require immediate and dedicated
support.  The enterprise is also one that is in a position to provide financial
support to CCN in return for services provided. I, for one, would prefer to
direct corporate fundraising activities to this class of member.

The business category could also encompass the many special projects in which
CCN is and has been participating.  The Provincial Server, VolNet, UrbanCAP,
SmartCities are clients, and should not be grouped in with church groups and
cultural organizations.

All categories of membership should be provided/offered some basic level of
training.  CCN orientation should be a basic element. Many of the components
are already on-line but hands-on classes can remove the technological barrier
experienced by many. HTML, FTP, and other application training can be provided
to improve the competency (and opportunities) of our users.

Given that all types have sufficient space to create a web presence, all should
be required to sign a user agreement. With individuals, it is with the member,
with family it is with the applicant (the kids don't sign), with organization
the principle editor (or organization signing officer), and with business, a
signing officer.  (A question here is maybe all adult users should sign the
agreement, including editors).

One reason for suggesting a combined the procedures, is that CCN is now
providing more services, such as PPP and VDN.  What if an individual wants a
VDN for their personal page.  Is that possible with the current process?  Would
the individual have to reapply as an IP?  In my view VDN is a service, that
should be available to all who wish to purchase the service (just like PPP).
How about, http://TheSmithFamily.ns.ca.

Quoting potter@chebucto.ns.ca:

> With respect to resource allocations/restrictions/... I am interested in
> acknowledegement that some sites (including assisted/demonstration) require
> significantly more resources to operate effectively... again, Janet
> MacKay's site is an example
>
> The discussion about 'merging' membership classes will benefit from real
> world
> examples...
>

> While I am prepared, and indeed would welcome renewed vision, my question
> would
> "How will merging the IP process with other membership functions
> contribute to the current vision? Do we need to dismantle the entire system
> remove an recent inconvenience associated with IP training?"
>
> Many of the preceived problems with 'IP Training' can probably be addressed
> by
> creating a training/testing program aimed at IP-FTP similar to the one in
> use
> for text based systems, and waiving the text training if it is not
> appropriate.
>

> david potter
> Volunteer

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/ (in development)