IP Merge

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:51:55 -0300 (ADT)
From: George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Jason David Kenney <ap367@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, "Andrew D. Wright" <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Jason David Kenney wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:
>

> > Turf RCS? O.K. but what happens to on-line editing? N.B. If you dispense
> > with RCS you also lose CCN 'Recent' functionality since the scripts that
> > do this, work from RCS info.
> >

> I'd just like to point out that the 'recent' functionality does not rely
> on RCS. RCS is really only used for locking, and there are other ways of
> accomplishing the same thing.

> Jason Kenney <ap367@chebucto.ns.ca>

Version control is one of those things like backups that people tend to
shortchange until they need it.  Over the long term, some IP's will
benefit from having a record of who changed what and when, and from being
able to bring up older versions of material.  I expect people will develop
systems better suited to the WWW than RCS, but a) CCN should attempt to
keep the existing RCS version control alive, and b) should include
information on version control in IP training so that IP's are at least
aware of the capability even if the current implementation is not well
suited to the WWW.

--
George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> Halifax, Nova Scotia