IP process halted?

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:44:12 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca, Andrew Wright <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>, Robert Adams <ac200@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>

Hi all!

On Sat, 7 Aug 1999, Andrew D. Wright wrote:

>       This fellow Dow wants to put a site up on CCN. First we tell him
> he needs to get a personal account in an unfamiliar text-based
> interface with us and that no, we can't do this over the phone, he must
do
> an online registration and mail in ID.  He does this and then gets told
> that he must do an online IP application and mail in *another* form.

With regard to the IP process (as opposed to the User process):

1) We can create an IP over the phone if really necessary. Anyone with
HTTP Authorized Access can go to the IP Database and create an IPDB entry
directly by-passing the entire on-line IP Application process. I've done
this on a couple of occasions for IPs that have had some sort of grievous
technical problem telnetting to the CCN, etc.

One does, however, have to get all the necessary information from the IP
applicant and then actually go and do it (a two-step process) which chews
up a moderate amount of time on the part of the office manager or whoever
is doing it so its not something we should encourage people to do on a
regular basis.

2) It is also possible to submit an on-line IP Application from a
graphical browser such as Netscape or Internet Explorer (thereby bypassing
the 'unfamiliar text-based interface'). Simply go to:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/IPOnlineApplication.html

And proceed with the application from there. I don't think that the
process requires Lynx anywhere.

This raises another interesting question: with the Introduction of
Chebucto Plus we now have a small number of users using the system via PPP
(how many are there?). In the future there might be people who would want
to manage an IP solely using Netscape (via POP Mail & Netscape's 'publish
function). No need to use Lynx, PINE or an FTP client. They would, of
course, miss a number of CCN specific features (Go To shortcuts; Jumpkeys;
Lynx C)omment; Welcome Page functionality; on-line editing via PICO; RCS;
etc..), however, there may be people who would wish to do this.

It's not a big stretch, however, I suppose we could consider a second IP
Training 'stream' for just such people. The HTML stuff would (I think)
fairly much remain the same but some of IP Training III would need to be
ammended to let people know how to manage their IP accounts in this way
(sans RCS & on-line editing).

I guess this depends on the demand for managing accounts in this way or if
we want to make this a more visible option for people who are used to
managing IPs this way through commercial ISPs.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"Often his editorial policy was a nice compromise between blackmail and
begging"                - William Allen White, The Nation, Jun 18, 1938