IP process halted?

Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:09:25 -0300 (ADT)
From: George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, Ashwin Kutty <ah326@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, Andrew Wright <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>,

&gt; begging"
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999 aa935@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> As Chris points out, one of the differences between CCN and other ISPs is that
> CCN provides training, and at no cost.  CCN's mandate is to provide internet
> access to all, without regard to financial or technical difficency.
>
> In this regard CCN is actively narrowing the gap between the 'haves' and 'have
> nots'. The process of requiring IP editor training/certification/orientation is
> to create a standard of technical competency.  It is this standard that ensures
> the technological gap is bridged.
>
> How many so-called literate people do you know who are computer illiterate, but
> pride prevents them from using the technology.  Providing compulsory sessions
> may provide the needed push to overcome the problem. Given that a good part of
> the material covered is (should be) CCN orientation and not computer training
> per se, then all prospective IP editors should pass through the system.
>
> I think we should emphasis the positive aspects of the IP training requirement
> in our converstions with prospects and in our promotional literature.  It is a
> service we are providing, and demonstrates commitment to the success of the
> IP's site.
>
> Doug M

It is a service and also part of the process of building a community.

If all IP's have the same training, their shared background makes it
easier to communicate and participate.  People who have experience should
take the training so they understand the background of other IP's, and may
be able to contribute ideas to improve the training and/or the CCN
procedures.

--
George White <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca> Halifax, Nova Scotia