The -other- mailing list

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:03:10 -0300 (ADT)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Daniel MacKay <Daniel.MacKay@Dal.Ca>
cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dan,

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Daniel MacKay wrote:

> It's Dan again, wearing my Halifax Pride Committee hat,
> CommunitySupport/HPC/.
>
> I dimly recall when we got our site that CCN offered us two mailing
> lists, one public and one for committee members.  The public one is
> pride@chebucto.ns.ca ... what is the other one?  I'm pretty sure it's
> never been used, and we have enough online volunteers this year that it
> might come in handy.
>
> Thanks.  -dan

Umm, yeah...

A little investigation reveals that pride@chebucto.ns.ca is actually
your so-called "ml-priv" or editors mailing list.  This is the list
that receives comments from those users/browsers (mostly Lynx) that
can respond to the a made link in the header of your web pages, and
is by default set up as a communication list for the editors.  It is
also useful as a mailto address that doesn't change when the list of
editors changes.

That said, there's nothing in the system that prevents you from
using it any other way, such as using it as a "public" mailing list,
except that the list gets comments (more or less private) that were
made to the page in Lynx, and perhaps occasional messages intended
for the editors from the IP committee.

So that is the only list which has been created for you.

Where do you want to take it from here?  It is certainly possible to
create a new mailing list.  By online volunteers do you mean your
editing team, or volunteers in support of your organization's
activities?  Would it be helpful to have the new list functioning in
the role of the editors' list?

You could go to the IP section on CCN (go ip in Lynx, or find it
under www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services) for more information on our
mailing lists.  Some decisions would be needed on list
configuration, based on how you would want to use it (open or
closed, etc.)

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN  Assistant Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca