Volunteer Resource Centre site

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:00:37 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Ron Dunn <ron.dunn@ns.sympatico.ca>
cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>, Ed Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Lesley!

Gosh, am I delighted to hear from you! :->

Actually, the history of the Volunteer Resource Centre materials on the
CCN are quite a complicated story! Over the past 3-4 years I was in touch,
on numerous occasions, with Joanne Thomsen, Brenda Landry, Gregory Hagen &
Lois ?, trying to get the site up and running.

In a nutshell, the material that you currently see there was written by
Carlos Freitas in early 1994 when the CCN was just getting ready to go
on-line. We included 'static' material on a number of organizations so
that our pages would have some content when we opened our doors. It has
not really been revised since (actually, I made a number of small
editorial changes today). Subsequently all of these so-called 'static IPs'
(except for this one) were replaced or eliminated.

In the summer of 1996  Joanne Thomsen & Brenda Landry became interested in
developing a full-fledged Information Provider website on the CCN. They
solicited the assistance of a volunteer, Gregory Hagen, to build this
site, which he did. The VRC submitted an IP Agreement, directories, edit
groups and lists, etc. were all created and all that needed to be done was
to install the materials.

Unfortunately Gregory Hagen went off to law school without doing this and
then was subsequently too busy to complete the task. I continued to keep
the project alive at our end, and come next spring Greg was going to
install the site, but by that time (I believe) Joanne & Brenda thought
that the original materials needed some modification & Greg didn't have
the time to do these (without recompense) and there was no budget ... so
in the end the site was never mounted and the project fell apart.

I subsequently spoke to Lois ? (I can't recall her last name) wanted to
revive the project, however, nothing seemed to come of this.

In any event, it's probably best if you initiate the project again via the
route Ed Dyer suggests. There may still be a copy of the IP Agreement the
VRC originally submitted somewhere on-file, however, at the moment we have
no Office Manager so there is no ready way of finding this, ergo, it's
best if you submit another copy.

You might wish to contact "Gregory R. Hagen" <ghagen@ns.sympatico.ca> to
see if he still has all the materials that he developed for the VRC
originally. They might require some modification but they would surely be
a good start towards a much more complete website. Lois ?
<snuzke@ns.sympatico.ca> may also have some further information.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. The CCN Community
Support & Development Editor is Mark Rushton. Don't hesitate to give him
or Ed or myself a shout if you want to know more.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Edward Dyer wrote:

> Hello Lesley,
>
> Since no-one else has answered, here's the scoop:
>
> Chebucto Community Network would be pleased to have you on board
> again!
>
> The original web pages were mounted when CCN was just beginning, and
> someone from your organization expressed some interest in it.
> Unfortunately, that interest was never translated into an ongoing
> site, with people from your Centre keeping the page up.
>
> To get things going, have a look at Chebucto's Information Provider
> pages, at http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/
>
> We offer on-line training, to get you or another interested person
> up to speed as (an) editor(s), as well as continuing liaison with
> the CCN topic editor, and our ip-help mailing list for questions
> about running the site.
>
> A private mailing list that will serve as a mailbox for incoming
> comments etc. which does not depend on an individual's e-mail
> address is also a standard feature, as well as other features you
> can find on the web-pages noted above.
>
> Please write back if you have any more questions, we will be pleased
> to have your site active again!
>
> Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN  Assistant Postmaster
> Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
>

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Ron Dunn wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 20:02:03 -0700
> > From: Ron Dunn <ron.dunn@ns.sympatico.ca>
> > To: ip-help@chebucto.ns.ca
> > Subject: Volunteer Resource Centre site
> >
> > April 9, 1999
> >
> > As new Executive Director of the Volunteer Resource Centre in Halifax I
> > have recently noticed our site on your network.  It has not been updated
> > or added to since 1994.  As we have had many new exciting change we
> > would love to make it current, and to maintain it.  Could you please
> > advise me as to how we can get things brought up-to-date.
> > Thanks
> > Lesley Dunn
> > Executive Director
> > Volunteer Resource Centre
> > 432-1368  422-5941(fax)
> > ron.dunn@ns.sympatico.ca

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom