cfn change

Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:41:34 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>, "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>, Jane Kansas <as300@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi Ed,

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Edward Dyer wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Norman L. DeForest wrote:
>
> > It might also be worth using some of the special features of the search
> > engines to look for sites with specific links.  To look for links to
> > "ccn.cs.dal.ca/~af380" (as a totally random example) that are NOT on CCN,
> > the syntax for AltaVista in the Advanced Search page would be
> >
> >    link:ccn.cs.dal.ca/~af380 AND NOT url:ccn.cs.dal.ca
>
> Norman and all!
>
> 	Since we are interested in eliminating _ALL_ references to
> ccn.cs.dal.ca including ESPECIALLY those on CCN, you do yourself
> (nor us) no favours by excluding url:ccn.cs.dal.ca from that search
>
> The sooner all the local references are cleaned up, the better!

Norm was replying here to a specific query from Jane, as to how she could
locate pages which had URLs of the form c*n.cs.dal.ca which pointed to her
site so that she could take specific action with regard to changing those
listings. I don't think that Jane is ready to volunteer to do that for all
of the CCN! ;->

> That being said, however, lots of users are updating their pages
> still.  So CCN's web presence is in a considerable state of flux,
> and it may not be helpful to get all the web robots trying to
> reindex chebucto until we have our act together, especially if they
> then flag us not to be searched again for a while.

The issue however was to contact specific webmasters with outdated link
URL's and not web robots.

> Editors, it may be helpful to check our own sites/sections for
> ccn.cs.dal.ca and cfn.cs.dal.ca references, in links, mailto's, and
> in the top of every installed page that you haven't modified lately,
> in the "link made" reference that sets up the Comment address.

Over the course of the past few years I have modified every such instance
that I have run across so that a large number of CCN IP area documents are
now free of such reference - however undoubtedly not all! ;->

> But don't worry, we will soon have a system-wide look for these
> links, so if you don't get to it, then we will probably make some
> way to automate it for you, just as we have for users.
>
> (Generally the mailto's and made's should point to your
> "editors-mailing-list" or ml-priv, to use the inside jargon, unless
> you have a reason to put something different in there.  For
> instance, on the United Church Pages I might use
>
> <link rev="made"  href="mailto:ip-prs@chebucto.ns.ca">
>
> or use the mf3 form (see the main category pages for examples)
>
> By the way, I found one page that had an
> href="mailto:@chebucto.ns.ca"
> without any mailbox (user or list) specified.  Any user who tries
> Lynx's Comment feature on that page will get a bounced mail notice
> in their mailbox after the mail system tries to process the message.
> Would not give a good impression of your page :-(

There was a time (last spring) when IP creation scripts were broken in
such a way that all <link> elements for newly created IPs were being
created in this form. I eventually flagged this problem and the script was
fixed, and I repaired many pages (and alerted IP Editors of the problems
and asked them to make the changes), however, again, there are undoubtedly
still documents of this form.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom