cfn change

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:11:29 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Jane Kansas <as300@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Userhelp <userhelp@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jane!

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, David L. Potter wrote:

> Probably by someone linking to your site and using cfn/ccn in the link.
> We're going to actively 'encourage' the search engines to re-index using the
> proper address... we're not going to turn off the old address until we're
> satisfied that we're not going to cause a significant loss of access.
>
> david potter
>
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jane Kansas wrote:
>
> > Hi Although I have never used 'cfn' I see that my IP site is listed in
> > some search engine results with 'cfn'... how did that conversion take
> > place? Will those listings be dead ends? Thanks for your time.

One thing you can (and I would) do is  to do some searches on several
search engines looking for Harper Lee:

I just did the following with Alta Vista, Look Smart, Netscape, Excite,
Infoseek & Lycos and found the following:

*www.chebucto.ns.ca*

Lycos

Harper Lee & To Kill a Mockingbird <DL Harper Lee Biography (Yes, Miss Lee
is still alive.) Contains information about
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture/HarperLee/

*www.ccn.cs.dal.ca*

Alta Vista

Harper Lee & To Kill a Mockingbird
Biography of Miss Lee and information on her novel. Links to other
Mockingbird sites. List of further readings.
Last modified 16-Sep-98 - page size 4K - in English [ Translate ]

LookSmart

Harper Lee & To Kill a Mockingbird
Biography of Miss Lee and information on her novel. Links to other
Mockingbird sites. List of further readings. Size 4K - 16-Sep-98
http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Culture/HarperLee

*www.cfn.cs.dal.ca*

Netscape

71% Harper Lee & To Kill a Mockingbird
other Mockingbird sites. List of further readings.

Excite

71% Harper Lee & To Kill a Mockingbird  - Biography of Miss Lee and
information on her novel. Links to other Mockingbird sites. List of
further readings. http://www.cfn.cs.dal.ca/cfn/Culture/HarperLee/

*no listing*

Infoseek

Ergo, you should submit your URL and get listed! ;->

This indicates that most search engines (with the exception of Lycos) have
your pages listed via either old URL. Most of these (and other) search
engines have a mechanism whereby you can submit ammendments or corrections
to listings so I would go there and get them to update their indicies.

Ciao!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom